Re: interfiling of videos with books

Maurine Canarsky (maurine.canarsky@fnsb.lib.ak.us)
Mon, 22 May 2000 11:12:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Peter,
We've been interfiling our non-fiction videos with our books for about seven
years now.

The patrons love it, in that everything on a particular topic is there in
one spot--books, instructional cassettes, videos. We decided to do this
when we outgrew our "video room". The circulation statistics are excellent
for both fiction and non-fiction videos.

The feature films and "fiction" videos are separate, just as our fiction
book collection is separate from our non-fiction. Our Youth Services
department also has a small children's fiction video and children's
audiobook collection.

We've found that most patrons who are looking for feature films just want to
"find a video", so that's why we have those as a separate collection, rather
than interfiled with the fiction books.

Otherwise, we let the subject approach, rather than the format approach
guide us.

Hope this helps,
Maurine Canarsky, Media Librarian
Noel Wien Public Library