RE: Interfiling of Videos

Deg Farrelly (DEG.FARRELLY@asu.edu)
Sun, 21 May 2000 20:59:53 -0700 (PDT)

Peter Cartford writes:

<<There's a move afoot at my library to interfile non-movie videos
with the
> book collection.

<stuff deleted>

> Comments from others are welcome as well on both a
> philosophical and practical level. Is video a distinctive enough format
> deserve a separate place and somewhat special treatment in the library?
> And
> as a patron, how would you prefer to find the videos in your
> library--shelved separately or interfiled with the books? >>

I think I understand the rationale for this... but I favor keeping
videos together, for a number of reasons:

* Patrons *do* look for informtion by format. Why make
patrons go two places for videos.
* If a video is not on the shelf where it is *supposed* to be,
the other shelving location has to be checked, in the event the item was
mis-shelved.
* If you provide viewing units, are you able to place units
throughout the Library?
* The catalog provides access to all materials in the
collection already

And lastly....

Libraries do not integrate their print collections: journals are in
a separate area, as are Reference books, children's books, fiction, atlases,
dictionaries, oversize.... are these items going to be integrated as well?

My $.02

deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
Media / Women's Studies / Document Delivery Program Manager
Arizona State University West
4701 West Thunderbird Road, P.O. Box 37100
Phoenix, Arizona 85069-7100
Phone: 602.543.8522 | Fax: 602.543.8540 | E-Mail: deg@asu.edu