Re: PBS Video Database

Karen Driessen (karend@selway.umt.edu)
Thu, 18 May 2000 09:44:55 -0700 (PDT)

FYI, the University of Montana cataloged all of the PBS video titles last
year on WLN and since we now are in OCLC, all of those records should also
be represented in OCLC. I say should because there seems to be some
problems with their loading of our original records. Hopefully those
problems will be resolved soon.

At 09:38 AM 05/17/2000 -0700, Frank Landrum wrote:
>Hi Dan,
>Lane ESD (a regional center serving 16 school districts, k-12) subscribes.
>While it has taken us a while to get it rolling, some our fault some the
>fault of PBS, teachers who have seen and are using it are quite excited
>abaout it. We have done several in-service presentations about the series
>and plan to do more. It could fit quite well with the college level
>students, as well as future teachers. One of the areas that has really
>slowed us down getting into it more quickly is suddenly having to catalog
>320 videos along with our other cataloging. We also found that a few of
>the titles had slightly different names in the series than they did when
>they sold individually. But then how many distributors ever understood the
>need for consistency in bibliographic information anyway?
>Anyhow, as the person who does the workshops and former social studies
>teacher, I think it is an excellent program.
>Frank Landrum
>Lane eSD
>At 03:02 PM 5/16/00 -0700, you wrote:
> >Hello:
> >
> >I'm considering subscription to the PBS Video Database of America's
>History and Culture. At first look I thought it to be primarily a tool for
>K-12 teaching but the more I look at the Web site the more I begin to think
>it may be very useful to undergraduate programs at the University of
>Minnesota. It seems to be unique and so extensive that it might be of
>interest to the College of Education, here, to use as exemplary
>demonstration of the integration traditional video classroom resources with
>Web technology. There are a variety of other curricula at Minnesota that
>might find it useful to search a database for course germane image
>sequences from PBS programming. Do any of you on this list subscribe to the
>database? If so I'd be interested to learn your opinion about it as a
>library resource and teaching tool.
> >

> >Thanks in advance for any help.
> >
> >Dan D.
> >
> >Dan Donnelly, Library Manager
> >Learning Resources Center
> >153 Norris Hall
> >172 Pleasant St. S.E.
> >Minneapolis, MN 55455
> >Tel: 612/624-6536
> >mail to: d-donn@tc.umn.edu

Karen C. Driessen, Director Phone: 406-243-2856
Instructional Media Services (MMLAO1) FAX: 406-243-4067
32 Campus Drive #4968 E-mail: karend@selway.umt.edu
The University of Montana
Missoula MT 59812-4968