Re: PBS Video Database

Frank Landrum (flandrum@lane.k12.or.us)
Wed, 17 May 2000 09:38:11 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Dan,
Lane ESD (a regional center serving 16 school districts, k-12) subscribes.
While it has taken us a while to get it rolling, some our fault some the
fault of PBS, teachers who have seen and are using it are quite excited
abaout it. We have done several in-service presentations about the series
and plan to do more. It could fit quite well with the college level
students, as well as future teachers. One of the areas that has really
slowed us down getting into it more quickly is suddenly having to catalog
320 videos along with our other cataloging. We also found that a few of
the titles had slightly different names in the series than they did when
they sold individually. But then how many distributors ever understood the
need for consistency in bibliographic information anyway?
Anyhow, as the person who does the workshops and former social studies
teacher, I think it is an excellent program.
Frank Landrum
Lane eSD
At 03:02 PM 5/16/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello:
>
>I'm considering subscription to the PBS Video Database of America's
History and Culture. At first look I thought it to be primarily a tool for
K-12 teaching but the more I look at the Web site the more I begin to think
it may be very useful to undergraduate programs at the University of
Minnesota. It seems to be unique and so extensive that it might be of
interest to the College of Education, here, to use as exemplary
demonstration of the integration traditional video classroom resources with
Web technology. There are a variety of other curricula at Minnesota that
might find it useful to search a database for course germane image
sequences from PBS programming. Do any of you on this list subscribe to the
database? If so I'd be interested to learn your opinion about it as a
library resource and teaching tool.