Re: Thanx for replies re: Amazon vs. others

Jim Mumm (Jim.Mumm@marquette.edu)
Tue, 9 May 2000 15:10:25 -0700 (PDT)

Judy (et. al.)

The answer to your question (Is it true that shipping charges generally bring
the cost up to the price a book would be in my Borders or Barnes and Noble or
Tower bookstore?) is, it depends on your mix of books.

Amazon charges shipping at a rate of $3.00 per order plus $0.99 per book, so an
order of one book would have shipping charge of $3.99, while 3 books would be
$5.97 and so on. (Shipping prices for other types of materials is different.
You can find this out by visiting their web site and clicking on "Help")

If you order one book that has no discount, you will probably be better off
going down the street to Borders or B&N. If, on the other hand you order 5
books that have a 30% discount, you will most likely come out ahead. (That is
assuming, of course, that Borders or B&N are not also discounting the titles in
their stores.)

Amazon seems to discount titles such as popular works, and major imprints. I
usually find that titles listed in the Chronicle of Higher Ed are discounted
(especially if they are from a major trade publisher). Generally, titles that
are done by specialty or smaller publishers will not be discounted. I think the
discount really goes to the amount Amazon has in stock, or the discount they
have negotiated with the publisher.

You can find out more about their pricing and shipping policy by visiting their
website and clicking on "Help".

Jim