FW: PP videos

Liz Shemeley (liz@libraryvideo.com)
Tue, 9 May 2000 10:06:39 -0700 (PDT)

As a distributor (Library Video Company) and a producer (Schlessinger Media)
we face Public Performance Rights/Fair Use issues daily. In order to provide
information on the permitted use of video in the classroom for our
customers, our V.P. of Legal Affairs, Judie Koss, recently posted an article
on our website on the "classroom exemption" under the U.S. Copyright Act;
http://p3.libraryvideo.com/articles/feature_article_sl.asp.

Liz Shemeley
Key Accounts Director
Library Video Company/Schlessinger Media
Wynnewood, PA
800 843-3620 x142
liz@libraryvideo.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Faaberg [mailto:rickf@nwresd.k12.or.us]
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2000 12:55 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: PP videos

On 5/8/2000 9:25 AM, Gary Handman at ghandman@library.berkeley.edu may have
written:

> Using videos as a "treat" falls
> off of the fair use boat; using videos--ANY VIDEOS--as a part of a vali
> teaching plan is an irrevocable fair use right.
>
> gary

I thank you all for your thoughts on this - remember me? I asked the
original question re: PP rights.

The issue (PP rights for regional K-12 libraries) appears to come down to
whether the videos are always used in face-to-face instruction as part of a
lesson plan or whether they are sometimes used as "treats."

I know that teachers sometimes use videos as "treats" - and that means I
need PP rights for my collection if I want the teachers to have the ability
to utilize the videos as they desire.

Right?

Thanks again,

Rick