Re: PP videos

Mon, 8 May 2000 11:26:40 -0700 (PDT)

Yeah... If you use the stuff for purposes that could be construed as
extra-curricular, you need performance rights.

Forgive my presumption here, Rick, but if I found out that my daughter's
teachers were showing video "treats" during the regular school day, I'd be
profoundly pissed off. I think that the practice of using videos as a form
of electronic babysitting or as visual ritlin for the overstimulated scions
of the new media generation is a completely inappropriate use of the medium.

At 09:54 AM 05/08/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>On 5/8/2000 9:25 AM, Gary Handman at ghandman@library.berkeley.edu may have
>written:
>
>> Using videos as a "treat" falls
>> off of the fair use boat; using videos--ANY VIDEOS--as a part of a vali
>> teaching plan is an irrevocable fair use right.
>>
>> gary
>
>I thank you all for your thoughts on this - remember me? I asked the
>original question re: PP rights.
>
>The issue (PP rights for regional K-12 libraries) appears to come down to
>whether the videos are always used in face-to-face instruction as part of a
>lesson plan or whether they are sometimes used as "treats."
>
>I know that teachers sometimes use videos as "treats" - and that means I
>need PP rights for my collection if I want the teachers to have the ability
>to utilize the videos as they desire.
>
>Right?
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Rick