Re: PP videos

Mon, 8 May 2000 11:26:28 -0700 (PDT)

The short answer is yes, if you want teachers to be able to use
every video in the collection for entertainment, then you need to
buy public performance rights for every video in the collection.
But here's the catch: You don't need PPRs for the videos that are
not suitable for entertainment and you won't be able to buy PPRs
for many that would be -- feature films.

There's another option. Tell teachers that all videorecordings are not
purchased with public performance rights and that they should not be used
for "treats." As a parent, that's my preferred solution. You won't be
able to buy rights for feature films anyway, so why make all of the
teachers crazy? You can use _Fantasia_ as part of instruction, but not
for a treat.

On Mon, 8 May 2000, Rick Faaberg wrote:

> On 5/8/2000 9:25 AM, Gary Handman at ghandman@library.berkeley.edu may have
> written:
>
> > Using videos as a "treat" falls
> > off of the fair use boat; using videos--ANY VIDEOS--as a part of a vali
> > teaching plan is an irrevocable fair use right.
> >
> > gary
>
> I thank you all for your thoughts on this - remember me? I asked the
> original question re: PP rights.
>
> The issue (PP rights for regional K-12 libraries) appears to come down to
> whether the videos are always used in face-to-face instruction as part of a
> lesson plan or whether they are sometimes used as "treats."
>
> I know that teachers sometimes use videos as "treats" - and that means I
> need PP rights for my collection if I want the teachers to have the ability
> to utilize the videos as they desire.
>
> Right?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Rick
> Northwest Regional ESD
> Oregon, USA

Kristine R. Brancolini, Media/Film Studies/Digital Library Program
Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: 812.855.3710 | Fax: 812.856.2062 | Email: brancoli@indiana.edu