Re: PP videos

Mon, 8 May 2000 09:25:16 -0700 (PDT)

Fantasia? How about an introduction to classical music? How about as a
inspiration for doing art work or creative writing? Fair use is fair use;
creative teaching is creative teaching. Using videos as a "treat" falls
off of the fair use boat; using videos--ANY VIDEOS--as a part of a vali
teaching plan is an irrevocable fair use right.

gary

08/2000 -0700, you wrote:

>Gary
>As I said I have little knowledge of the k-12 market but it does seem like
>there is a lot of abuse and misinformation on the other side too. In at
>least 3 cases since I have been in New York, high school teachers got in
>trouble for showing their students some popular Hollywood movie as "a treat"
>However they actually only got in trouble because the films were R rated.
>Nobody bothered to point out the copyright violation. While it would of
>course be perfectly reasonable to show TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD to a 9th grade
>literature course, I am hard pressed to think that it would ever be legit to
>show Fantasia to a third grade. If the film really fits in to the course or
>topic being discussed, no problem but this gets abused a lot. To be fair I
>have gotten calls from High Schools wanting to know what they have to do to
>get permission to show THE BELLE OF AMHURST in class and are often startled
>when I tell them nothing, so long as it is part of the instruction.
>
>Personally I think at least 90% or more of Face to Face is just common sense
>. It really does not take a brain surgeon to figure out it the film is being
>used for legitmate classroom instruction and ONLY that. Companies do often
>push unessary PP rights but you simply have to keep on your toes and see if
>it is available for less somewhere else. It may be a pain in the ass but
>than I am sure that is what you guys all went to library school for.
>
>Regards
>
>Jessica

UC Berkeley 94720-6000