Re: Thanx for replies re: Amazon vs. others

Mon, 8 May 2000 07:13:19 -0700 (PDT)

deg: I don't think that any of us expect amazon.com to supply educational
from the likes of Ambrose, Films for the Humanities, or First Run/Icarus,
to name only a few. We're using amazon.com for home video only and then
only for the most popular and easy-to-locate. We still use Facets much of
the time because, as many repsondents pointed out, amazon can't deliver
obscure titles as quickly or reliably. In an academic setting speed still
counts for something. But I hope your acquisitions staff understands that
home video isn't everything you buy. Sending them an order for a Films for
the Humanities title, for example, would be tantamount to burning it. You
can be sure they *won't* fill it. -- Kris

On Sun, 7 May 2000, Deg Farrelly wrote:

> Many thanx to all who responded to my inquiry about use of Amazon.com
>
> I appreciate the added suggestions of other vendors to try.
>
> I was perhaps too circumspect in my original question. Our acquisitions
> unit is interested in processes that are quick and easy and minimize the
> paper work that staff must complete. We are also interested in obtaining
> shipments in the shortest time frame, with the least number of "Unable to
> Fill" reports, etc. All honorable.
>
> I am, however, concerned with the long term effect of pulling business from
> the established, "brick and mortar" companies (Ambrose, Facets, Films for
> the Humanities, etc.) in favor of e-commerce. I am not questioning the use
> of e-commerce. Traditional, time-proven vendors, however, add value
> (carrying obscure, less profitable titles, assisting in tracking down
> hard-to-find works, collegial relationships on a first-name basis, etc.) I
> am concerned that if the popular titles are siphoned off to the e-vendors,
> the future of companies like Facets is threatened.
>
> I am also concerned of an attitude of "Amazon First" resulting in an
> attitude that if Amazona cannot supply, no one can.
>
> Thank you again for your timely and informative responses.
>

> deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
> Media / Women's Studies / Document Delivery Program Manager
> Arizona State University West
> 4701 West Thunderbird Road, P.O. Box 37100
> Phoenix, Arizona 85069-7100
> Phone: 602.543.8522 | Fax: 602.543.8540 | E-Mail: deg@asu.edu

Kristine R. Brancolini, Media/Film Studies/Digital Library Program
Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: 812.855.3710 | Fax: 812.856.2062 | Email: brancoli@indiana.edu