Re: PP videos

Fri, 5 May 2000 15:05:40 -0700 (PDT)

There's no reason why videorecordings need public performance rights to be
circulated to schools. The law is clear that you do not need to public
performance rights in a face-to-face teaching situation. I realize that
schools also use videorecordings for entertainment purposes, but if they
*don't*, they don't need public performance rights.

I also don't understand the last point. I don't know what fair use has to
do with circulating to schools or not. Again, home videos, which do not
come with public performance rights, may be used in face-to-face teaching.
This is not a fair use situation; it's an explicit exemption in the law.

See section 110 of the Copyright Law.
<http://www.iupui.edu/~copyinfo/sec110.html> -- Kris

On Fri, 5 May 2000, Rick Faaberg wrote:

> On 5/5/2000 2:23 PM, Jim Scholtz at jscholtz@sdln.net may have written:
>
> > Other companies that have children's titles
> > with PP rights?
>
> Lucerne, Phoenix, Film Ideas, and Disney come to mind immediately - unless
> I'm misunderstanding the question. Their materials come with PP rights.
>
> It's been my understanding that for regional libraries to provide
> circulating copies of videos to local school districts, PP rights are
> required.
>
> I have noticed that a fair number of the "real cheap" video companies have
> fine print (it takes a magnifying glass to read it!) which says something
> similar to "these materials are provided under Fair Use guidelines" which
> would NOT allow me to circulate them to schools.
>
> Am I wrong on this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick
> Northwest Regional ESD
> Oregon, USA

Kristine R. Brancolini, Media/Film Studies/Digital Library Program
Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: 812.855.3710 | Fax: 812.856.2062 | Email: brancoli@indiana.edu