Re: Checkout Times for Media Materials

R. Hertzler (rhertz@u.washington.edu)
Fri, 5 May 2000 14:38:50 -0700 (PDT)

Roz,

We've been circulating all videos and DVDs on a 3-day loan (with 2 renewal
options) for the past year, and this period actually works pretty
well . . . better terms than the average video store, but not *too*
long. We maintain Media Reserves within the Media Center itself, as
opposed to print reserves downstairs at the Circulation/Reserve
desk. We've never really felt that the number of items on reserve is a
problem, however. I'm curious why your Reserves department wants to
explore measures to reduce media reserve items. In my mind, putting a
tape or DVD on reserve potentiates *more* access (or at least access by
more patrons) to an item. At least, I think that's the concept behind
reserves!

Randy Hertzler
Reference Librarian
Media Services Coordinator