Re: Legal Self-Help -and- The Caste System

Richard Cohen (rbc24@earthlink.net)
Thu, 4 May 2000 08:58:42 -0700 (PDT)

I'm not sure if Taylor's Campaign meets the criteria, but it 1) shows a group of
psych nurses from UCLA serving free food to hungry people in the public parks.
Their volunteer actions, unpopular at city hall and outside of established social
service programs, continue in defiance of ordinances passed to stop the charitable
giving of food. Their decision to act outside of the law is discussed as well. 2)
Ron Taylor, destitute and barely off the streets, runs for city council to give
voice to the homeless community. It's his effort at self-help. The lesson he
shares near the end is that politicians aren't providing an end to homelessness,
and the answers lie within each of us.
http://www.richardcohenfilms.com