RE: Amazon vs. Other vendors

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Thu, 4 May 2000 07:55:02 -0700 (PDT)

Deg, I guess one question would be about budget? How much is yours? Also,
what kind of discount does Amazon provide? I know that Baker & Taylor
provides a 28% discount on videos. Wayland Audiovisual has a 35% discount
on videos from specific producers/studios/distributors. Quality Books and
Unique Books have a 17% discount, while Instructional Video and Vid-e-Go
have a 15% discount. Also, my understanding is that Amazon's shipping
charges are very high. Having ordered media for 20 years, I have found that
there is no easy answer for ordering. No one place has everything, with the
same great discount. Sometimes, especially with av, multiple vendors are
necessary in order to get the best bang for your buck. I can't really say
that I have ordered videos from Amazon. Each time I check them for a title,
the discount isn't any better than the above vendors. Perhaps others have
better ideas. Hope this helps. Good luck

Becky Tatar
Unit Head, Periodicals/Audiovisual
Aurora Public Library
1 E. Benton Street