Re: Amazon vs. Other vendors

Ladd Brown (blbrown@vt.edu)
Thu, 4 May 2000 07:35:00 -0700 (PDT)

Deg--
We use Amazon.com frequently for video orders.
Due to their propensity to quickly go out of "print" or otherwise
become unavailable, we treat all of our video/media orders as RUSH.
We also use Reel.com.
An integral part of the successful media order is rapid feedback from
the vendor; no sense in barking up the wrong cactus, --er, tree.
Our Ordering/Receiving personnel have a list about fifteen
video/media/DVD vendors for quick reference. There are about five or six
that are heavily used.
Yes, a department credit card is mighty handy. Just make sure all
personnel keep extra-careful and comprehensive records. They will be
useful in interpretting the statement each month! Credit card procedures
are equally important: auditors will want to see them if ever they should
have cause to visit.
--Ladd

At 06:41 PM 05/03/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Our acquisitions unit has recently conducted a review of its cumbersome
>ordering processes, especially as they pertain to media.
>
>One proposed revision is greater use of Amazon.com as the primary vendor
>(primarily feature film) videos.
>
>I would appreciate hearing others' comments on vendor selection.
>
>Thank you.
>
>deg farrelly, Media Librarian
>Arizona State University West
>Phoenix, Arizona 85069-7100