Re: Amazon vs. Other vendors

Barb Bergman (
Thu, 4 May 2000 07:13:06 -0700 (PDT)

Would this be in addition to using Baker & Taylor? We've found that BT can
provide most feature films, at a 25 or 30% discount, and without the
postage & handling charge. Titlesource II enables Acquisitions to search
and order online.

Follett now has a media division just for videos and such, but I don't know
anything else about it. The brochure sounded like their goal is to be a
single source provider for feature films and educational titles. Any one
know more about this? and are the other online videostores I'm familiar
with. The Library Video Company ( has a nice site for
their catalog of educational titles.

Obviously, if Acquisitions doesn't have a credit card, they need to get
one. (We just won a long struggle to convince the fiscal office that the
world would not end if every purchase did not require a purchase order.)

Barb Bergman

At 06:41 PM 5/3/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Our acquisitions unit has recently conducted a review of its cumbersome
>ordering processes, especially as they pertain to media.
>One proposed revision is greater use of as the primary vendor
>(primarily feature film) videos.
>I would appreciate hearing others' comments on vendor selection.
>Thank you.
>deg farrelly, Media Librarian
>Arizona State University West
>Phoenix, Arizona 85069-7100

Barbara J. Bergman Porter Henderson Library
Media Librarian Angelo State University
ph: (915) 942-2313 Box 11013, ASU Station
fax: (915) 942-2198 San Angelo, TX 76909