RE: VHS Rewinder and Cleaner

Pennington, Buddy (buddy.pennington@Rockhurst.edu)
Tue, 2 May 2000 12:04:25 -0700 (PDT)

Sounds like you have a phenomenal circulation rate (almost twice your entire
video collection per month). If you are bringing in $3500 per month in the
fees then $2500 for a cleaner does sound like a good investment.

Buddy Pennington
Acquisitions/Serials Librarian
Rockhurst University Greenlease Library
buddy.pennington@rockhurst.edu
#816-501-4143

-----Original Message-----
From: Fischmurph@aol.com [mailto:Fischmurph@aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2000 1:49 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: RE: VHS Rewinder and Cleaner

We're a small library that owns around 2,000 videos - we circulate around
3500 videos a month. We bought a Tape-Chek machine several years ago to
help maintain our collection and keep it circulation-worthy. We charge
patrons $1.00 per day to borrow our videos (mostly popular titles) and felt
that we needed to insure that we could stand behind the quality of our
tapes. Also, many patrons return videos saying they are unwatchable for
whatever reason - lines in picture, static, no sound, etc. Rather than
trying to scan through the entire tape on my VCR looking for problems, I run
it through Tape-Chek to look for defects. If nothing else, if defects are
found, the display lets you know in which 15 minute segment of the tape the
problem can be found. Then, if you want to investigate further to gauge the
seriousness of the problem, you know where to look. If there are no defects
(and there usually aren't) the tape is being reconditioned and cleaned at
the same time. By the way,!
B!
lockbuster and other video stores do use a similar machine. I have found the
Tape Chek to be a very useful aide in my work, despite the large price tag.
It's an investment.