RE: VHS Rewinder and Cleaner

Judy Jones (judyjones@csus.edu)
Tue, 2 May 2000 08:12:34 -0700 (PDT)

Our circulation of video is about 30,000 per year, mostly expensive
educational titles. We ask patrons to rewind, but sometimes they don't. We
purchase the cheapest possible rewinders on the market. Under $20.00. We
don't do anything else. When a video wears out, we buy a new one. You can
replace a lot for $2,500. I really think our videos wear out due to age and
number of uses, though. Although we probably should "exercise" our videos
at least 2 times per year, we do get to them once per year during the summer
using high school kids. We have a tech how fixes broken videos where
possible. Benign neglect, probably characterizes us best. Our biggest
problem right now is 3/4"U-matic.

-----Original Message-----
From: Pennington, Buddy [mailto:buddy.pennington@rockhurst.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2000 6:26 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: RE: VHS Rewinder and Cleaner

How many videos do you circulate that you would need a machine that costs
$2,500. I would get the rewinder. You can get a lot of replacement videos
or even new ones for the price difference between the 2 products.

Buddy Pennington
Acquisitions/Serials Librarian
Rockhurst University Greenlease Library
buddy.pennington@rockhurst.edu