RE: VHS Rewinder and Cleaner

Pennington, Buddy (buddy.pennington@Rockhurst.edu)
Tue, 2 May 2000 08:08:43 -0700 (PDT)

Has anyone looked at what machines the video stores use? If Blockbuster
stores aren't using $2500 cleaners then why should libraries, which have a
circulation that is a fraction of what the video stores have.

Buddy Pennington
Acquisitions/Serials Librarian
Rockhurst University Greenlease Library
buddy.pennington@rockhurst.edu
#816-501-4143

-----Original Message-----
From: Charles Timberlake [mailto:ctimberl@sjvls.lib.ca.us]
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2000 10:03 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: RE: VHS Rewinder and Cleaner

If you purchase most of your movies as previously-viewed videos and
purchase a lot of them, buy the machine. It will pay for itself. You'll
be able to return used videos for credit or replacement immediately, and
you won't spend time and money on cataloging and then dealing with the
complaint of the first patron to borrow the defective video. The machine
will also clean oxide off the tape. We've had one for about 8 years. We
run only used videos through it, but I know one public library that also
runs new videos through it, and they claim to return some of them, because
of damage, for credit or exchange.