Re: Interfiling Video Genres

sdehut@linfield.edu
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 09:27:44 -0700 (PDT)

We file ours by call number, same as the book (and other) collections.
It's handy for us, especially with the use of an online catalog. We use LC
numbers -- don't know how this would work with Dewey....

I don't see why filing by title would not work --- except for constant
shifting when new acquisitions come in. But it would not be as nice for
patron browsing, especially if they are looking for movies in a particular
genre.

Sue DeHut

--On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 8:47 AM -0700 Judy Falzon
<j.falzon@gomail.sjcpl.lib.in.us> wrote:

> Greetings,
>

> I am part of a Committee to standardize labels and processing across a
> multibranch system. Our Committee is making recommendations about A-V
> materials.
>
> We at the main library have approximately 10,000 videos, most of them
> popular adult and juvenile feature films. The majority of our non-new
> titles have 1-3 copies per genre depending on shelf space, although we can
> have as many as 4-8 copies (Bambi, for example). Currently we have about
> 8 adult genres--Western, Comedy, Action/Adventure, Foreign,
> Mystery/Suspense, Horror, Sci-Fi, Musicals.
>
> Branches have collections of videos that are 20% or less of our number of
> titles.
>
> We are mulling the idea of interfiling all our Main Library adult videos
> alphabetically by title (not exact alphabetical, but let's say by first 3
> letters of title), while retaining the genre designation on the spine (and
> highlighting the genre).
>
> Has anyone made such a dramatic rearrangement? I anticipate some patron
> backlash, and we will produce lots of videography lists by categories to
> help browsers.
>
> I am looking for feedback, advice, opinions, on the wisdom of this.
> Because this is a Committee with a deadline, we won't have time to survey
> or sample patrons.
>
> Shelvers will be surveyed.
>
> Thanks for input anyone cares to provide.

> Judith Falzon
> j.falzon@gomail.sjcpl.lib.in.us
> Head of Audio Visual Services
> St. Joseph County Public Library Voice: (219)
> 282-4608 304 S. Main St.
> South Bend, IN 46601-2230

Susan Davis-DeHut
Director, Educ. Media Services