Re: fixing broken cases...

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:19:52 -0700 (PDT)

Depending upon the condition of the physical case, we either replace the
entire case with another (we try to reuse withdrawn videos (cases) or you
can actually buy empty VHS cases - or we salvage parts from withdrawn
cases. Actually, the entire evaluation to finished replacement process
only takes about 5min. Heck, we even use a hairdryer to lift the original
labels off and repaste so that the new case looks exactly like the old
(doen't take very much time and beats typing a new "home-grown" label. We
have one of our pages trained to do video/audiocassette evaluation and
repair and we plan to do some CD Music and CD-ROM polishing as well later.
We have a setup for splicing with all screwdrivers and materials as well as
a tape cleaner and rewinder. The staff time and equipment investment is
well-worth the cost-savings we see vs. buying new items (buying the new
item costs money also - time spent filling out P.O.s or sending orders in,
processing the new item, etc. Bottom line is I'm not stingy, and we do
realize a substantial cost-savings by doing this - page staff also learn a
skill, break up the monotony of shelving, feel valuable because they can
make worthwhile decisions (they have the power to route an unfixable item
to the appropriate selector for purchase reconsideration if the item can't
be fixed - we have a procedure and form for this event. Hope this
information helps.
Jim Scholtz
Yankton Community Library
515 Walnut St.