Re: fixing broken cases...

Clark, Jeff (clarkjc@jmu.edu)
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 12:19:34 -0700 (PDT)

Amy,

Some fast and off the cuff practical considerations in
handling this problem.

1. Normally, we "transplant" an undamaged tape to a new
shell... and try carefully to salvage labeling to be used
on the new shell.

2. The videocassette shells from different manufacturers
often use somewhat different pieces--so you can't easily
make partial replacements between two cassettes (a hinged
door for a broken door, etc).

2. Vendors do offer entire replacement cassette shells--but
they're about as costly as buying an actual cassette itself
(from which you could just pitch the blank tape and use the
shell). And sometimes the shells cost more than a
cheap-grade videotape.

4. So what we do when we get a chance, is to save any
damaged tapes that have to be withdrawn from the
collection or repurchased, if the cassette shell is sound.
Or save any "donations" we don't put in the collection,
things like that. Then when a repair shell is needed, we
dump the damaged tape, and install the undamaged tape from
the damaged shell, relabel and reshelve.

Jeff

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000 11:11:30 -0700 (PDT) Amy Cantu
<CantuA@aadl.org> wrote:

> This is my first post, so I apologize in advance for any mistakes.
>
> I'm curious about what you do when the housing to a videocassette is damaged
> but the tape itself is fine. Do you transfer the tape to new housing? Do
> you fix the original with salvaged parts from old cassettes? I realize this
> isn't necessarily a very practical use of time or resources, but I'm also
> wondering if it amounts to a violation of copyright. Any thoughts or
> suggestions on this topic would be appreciated.
>
> Amy Cantu,
> Associate Librarian
> Ann Arbor District Library
> 343 S. Fifth Ave.