Re: fixing broken cases...

Brigid Duffy (
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 11:33:37 -0700 (PDT)

Transferring tape from a broken case to a new one can be done, but there
are many small parts inside a vhs cassette, so it should be done with
care. We are fortunate to have a technician who can do this - and even
splice tape if necessary. I'm not an attorney, but transferring a tape to
a new housing isn't making a new copy. It's no more a copyright violation
than repairing a book cover would be.

Brigid Duffy
Audio Visual/ITV Center
San Francisco State University
San Francisco CA 94132-4200

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Amy Cantu wrote:

> This is my first post, so I apologize in advance for any mistakes.
> I'm curious about what you do when the housing to a videocassette is damaged
> but the tape itself is fine. Do you transfer the tape to new housing? Do
> you fix the original with salvaged parts from old cassettes? I realize this
> isn't necessarily a very practical use of time or resources, but I'm also
> wondering if it amounts to a violation of copyright. Any thoughts or
> suggestions on this topic would be appreciated.
> Amy Cantu,
> Associate Librarian
> Ann Arbor District Library
> 343 S. Fifth Ave.
> Ann Arbor, MI 48103