Re: The Evil Luminous Wurks...

Fri, 14 Apr 2000 14:56:18 -0700 (PDT)

Well, I visited the Luminous web site earlier today and it confirmed my
fears and Jessica's assessment. Maybe their catalog has some credibility,
but their web site does not. My first tip-off was the Euro Babes page.
The owner is also advertising for Spanish-speaking people to do subtitles.
Hmmmm.

So, I will buy _Hitler: A Film from Germany_ from England, in PAL.

Thanks to Margaret, Jessica and Milos for your helpful information. Once
again you demonstrated that the best information resources are people, as
Ralph reminded us recently! -- Kris

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Jessica wrote:

> I'll take Milos' info for Our Hitler. Lynch himself owns Eraserhead and for
> some reason has not made a deal on it, HOWEVER unlike Our Hitler it did
> have a LEGAL release on the Columbia label A LONG TIME AGO. I have seen
> LEGAL used copies on eBay that usually go between $50 and $100. There are
> ALSO many more Illegal copies so if you decide to get it that way make sure
> it is a legit copy
>
> Jessica
>
> Jessica
> ----------
> >From: "M. Dew" <mdew@post.cis.smu.edu>
> >To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
> >Subject: Re: The Evil Luminous Wurks...
> >Date: Fri, Apr 14, 2000, 7:30 PM
> >

> >I know, I know, my bad. And I wouldn't have gone to them if the
> >faculty member who told me that he had gotten good-looking stuff from
> >them in the past hadn't lured me over to the dark side on this
> >one ;-)
> >
> >While we've got you on the ether, are you, by chance, familiar with
> >the state of the American rights to "Our Hitler," and "Eraserhead,"
> >Jessica?
> >many thanks for your wisdom,
> >-margaret
> >

> >> I believe that Luminous like the infamous Video Search Of Miami deals
> >> strictly in bootleg copies usually from a European PAL. Anything you get
> >> from these guys other than an old PD movie is strictly illegal and those
> >> xerox type box covers ought to be a clue. Sorry they took your money but I
> >> would never have dealt with them in the first place.
> >> Jessica Rosner

Kristine R. Brancolini, Media/Film Studies/Digital Library Program
Main Library E048, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: 812.855.3710 | Fax: 812.856.2062 | Email: brancoli@indiana.edu