RE: (Fwd) "Our Hitler"- NOT

Milos Stehlik (milos@interaccess.com)
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 12:22:44 -0700 (PDT)

OUR HITLER has never been in any form of legal U.S. distribution. It was
available in 35mm only for some time; the rights are apparently still held
by Jon Peters (of Barbra fame) who is not particularly interested in doing
anything with it.

Milos Stehlik
Facets Video

-----Original Message-----
From: M. Dew [SMTP:mdew@post.cis.smu.edu]
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2000 1:49 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: (Fwd) "Our Hitler"- NOT

Kris & others,

This is my story about "Our Hitler." I have been searching for a
copy of this film ever since I read Sontag's essay of it in the NYR
back in the late '70's. A year and 1/2 ago, I was THRILLED to see it
listed in the Luminous Film & Video Wurks catalog and immediately
ordered it, with some other titles requested by a faculty member. We
had to prepaid. They cashed our check. We didn't receive a
shipment. We called them. They said they would ship right away. We
waited. We didn't get our stuff. We called again. They apologized
and sent they were working on it. We never received our shipment.
The end. Needless to say, we won't be sending them any more of our
money, and too bad for them 'cause I was prepared to buy a lot from
them. Sigh.

Title: Hitler, ein film aus Deutschland [videorecording]
Hitler, a film from Germany / [produced by
TMS/Solaris/Westdeutscher Rundfunk/Ina/British
Broadcasting Corp.]
Variant Titles: Also known as: Our Hitler
Hitler, a film from Germany
Published: Medford NY : Luminous Film & Video Wurks, [199-?]
Videorecording
3 videocassettes (420 min.) : sd., col., with b&w
sequences ; 1/2 in.
Credits: Direction, Hans Jnrgen Syberberg ; screenplay, Hans
Jnrgen
Syberberg ; editing, Jutta Brandstaedter ;
cinematography, Dietrich Lohmann ; art direction,
Hans
Gailling ; puppets by Barbara Buchwald and Hans HM.
Stummer.
Cast: Harry Baer, Heinz Schubert, Peter Kern, Hellmut Lange,
Rainer von Artenfels, Martin Sperr, Peter Moland,
Johannes Buzalski, Alfred Edel, Amelie Syberberg.
the
sources which helped shape early twentieth-century
Germany through the Nazi period.
Notes: Videocassette release of motion picture originally
released in West Germany in 1977.
VHS format.
German, with English subtitles; some English narration
dubbed in.
LC Subjects: Hitler, Adolf, 1889-1945--Drama.
Feature films.
Germany--History--1933-1945--Drama.
Other Authors, Contributors, Titles, etc.:
Syberberg, Hans Jnrgen, 1935-
Baer, Harry, 1947-
Westdeutscher Rundfunk.
British Broadcasting Corporation.
Luminous Film & Video Wurks.
Grail.
German dream.
End of a Winter's tale.
We, the children of Hell.

Location: CMIT Library, General Circulation Material
Call Number: On Order

M.A.Dew
Southern Methodist University
Center for Media and IT
103C Fondren Library West
Dallas, TX 75275
<mdew@mail.smu.edu>
www.smu.edu/cul/ncmit

"Life is a dream that keeps me from sleeping."
- O.Wilde