Re: Favorite reference sources

Wed, 12 Apr 2000 07:34:36 -0700 (PDT)

Jim: Take a look at _Reference Librarian_ Number 65 1999. I'm sure your
library has it. I did an article on "Media Reference Sources for an
Academic Library." It's basically an annotated bibliography with all of
my favorites. See also Gary Handman's book _Video Collection Development
in Multitype Libraries_ (1994). It's listed, along with some other
sources, in the syllabus for a course I teach in the library school here
at IU. You might want to take a look there too:

Audio and Video Information Sources and Delivery
<http://www.indiana.edu/~libreser/L552/L552-Syllabus.html>

With regard to what to stay away from, that's an individual decision based
upon the particular library where you work. There are essential sources
for some librarians that I never look at. I can't really think of a
reference soure that's so bad I don't think anyone should use it ever.

Good luck with your assisgnment! Don't forget to look at the sources
yourself... I'm sure they are available at your library. -- Kris

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Jim Jonas wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> I'm a library student at UW-Madison. For an assignment I need to put
> together a study guide for "film and video reference."
>
> I would be thrilled if some of you could take a minute and recommend your
> favorite reference sources on the topic, and perhaps a sentence or two
> about why you like the particular source. They can be in any format.
> Also, if there are some I should stay away from, that would be great too.
>
> Thanks for your time.
> Jim Jonas

Kristine R. Brancolini, Media/Film Studies/Digital Library Program
Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: 812.855.3710 | Fax: 812.856.2062 | Email: brancoli@indiana.edu