Re: Favorite reference sources

Kristine R. Brancolini (
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 07:34:36 -0700 (PDT)

Jim: Take a look at _Reference Librarian_ Number 65 1999. I'm sure your
library has it. I did an article on "Media Reference Sources for an
Academic Library." It's basically an annotated bibliography with all of
my favorites. See also Gary Handman's book _Video Collection Development
in Multitype Libraries_ (1994). It's listed, along with some other
sources, in the syllabus for a course I teach in the library school here
at IU. You might want to take a look there too:

Audio and Video Information Sources and Delivery

With regard to what to stay away from, that's an individual decision based
upon the particular library where you work. There are essential sources
for some librarians that I never look at. I can't really think of a
reference soure that's so bad I don't think anyone should use it ever.

Good luck with your assisgnment! Don't forget to look at the sources
yourself... I'm sure they are available at your library. -- Kris

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Jim Jonas wrote:

> Hello all:
> I'm a library student at UW-Madison. For an assignment I need to put
> together a study guide for "film and video reference."
> I would be thrilled if some of you could take a minute and recommend your
> favorite reference sources on the topic, and perhaps a sentence or two
> about why you like the particular source. They can be in any format.
> Also, if there are some I should stay away from, that would be great too.
> Thanks for your time.
> Jim Jonas

Kristine R. Brancolini, Media/Film Studies/Digital Library Program
Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: 812.855.3710 | Fax: 812.856.2062 | Email: