Re: Just Desserts for the desert island

Lori Stevens (Stevenlo@uvsc.edu)
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 07:29:13 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry, I could have saved you a headache... We just got ours through First Run/Icarus 153 Waverly Place New York, NY 10014 212.727.1711 I believe it was $149.

>>> Gary Handman <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu> 04/11/00 06:03PM >>>
Thanks for the recommendations, Lori! I've added them (except for Ilha dos
Flores, which doesn't turn up for sale anywhere)

Merci!

At 03:47 PM 04/11/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>As I figured many of my favorites like "Visions of Light" showed up in
other lists here are a few that no one has mentioned yet as far as I could
tell..

>The Man who Planted Trees- animation beautiful story beautifully done
>
>Martha and Ethel- Jill Johnstone dir. These two gals decide to film a
documentary about their "nannies" that they had while growing up. Martha
and Ethel are the nannies. Great commentary about immigrants, family
social infrastructure in the 50s and 60s and a myriad of other issues.

>Ilha dos Flores (Island of Flowers)- Brazilian movie/doc. that was at
Sundance a year ago (?) Satirical look at the food chain, ecology/poverty
issues. Short but drives the point home.

>Now for some light titles (you guys are too serious!! not a comedy on
the list!!)

>All the Great Operas in 10 minutes- as a voice music major undergrad I
thought this was a great introduction to opera and will dispell all of
those awful myths like opera is boring and loud and nothing exciting ever
happens. This film includes a body count no less!!

>Gizmo- I am afraid this one might be out of print... but it has old film
clips of the craziest inventions known to man like the automated spaghetti
fork, windshield wipers for you glasses, and a talking grandfather clock
that tells your daughter's date that its time to hit the road. You set the
time. These are the same clips Minitlube used in their commercials.

>And last but certainly not least...
>
>Buster Keaton: A hard Act to Follow- because I am a "dyed in the wool
true blue" Buster Keaton fan and you asked what I would take with me.
This chronicles Keaton's life and is loaded with film clips. It helps you
gain an appreciation for his artistry as a comedian, actor, and director,
as well as those he worked with, and a feel for the industry during the
period.

>Have a fun one!
>
>Lori Stevens
>Media Librarian