Re: Video Ratings

Jessica (jesskino@redconnect.net)
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 15:22:34 -0700 (PDT)

--MS_Mac_OE_3038232232_1836851_MIME_Part

Speaking strictly for Kino Jan, expecting ratings on all films is not
practical. We don't rate any of our films because we don't believe in it AND
it costs a lot of money. Most small distributors could not afford to get
their films rated and it is basically meaningless for non- feature titles.
We have been under increasing pressure to rate our films but cost and
logistics alone make this a non starter except for an isolated case.
You might try to get distributors to provide more specific information on
a title or perhaps one of the big guns like Ingram or B& T want to set up a
system of having more info on titles but since the MPAA is basically an
industry service group for major studios it will never cover small and I
like to think important films. I still don't understand this obsession
library patrons have for video ratings when no such thing exists for books.

Regards

Jessica Rosner
Kino
----------
From: "Jan Derks" <jderks@ald.lib.co.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Video Ratings
Date: Mon, Apr 10, 2000, 7:22 PM

Am pulling together ratings info to answer patrons' questions on why all
videos aren't rated. Have gathered info from Jim Scholtz's books Video
Policies... and Developing and Maintaining Video... and from Sally
Mason-Robinson's book Developing and Managing... . I understand the history
of ratings pre-and post MPAA. I've read a 9/20/99 U.S. News article on
ratings and I have both the New York Times Guide to the Best Children's
Videos and Parent' Guide to the Best Family Videos. Is other info out there
that would help defuse patron concern about the content of videos they check
out? We include MPAA ratings in our catalog, if ratings are shown on the
video case. We also have a selection policy that provides guidelines. It's
the videos that don't list a rating that patrons want rated. Some patrons
want to know for sure that the video they pull off the shelf will be "safe"
for their kids but there's no one way that public libraries can or should
provide "safety" guarantees to subjective concerns. Comments? Jan

--
Jan Derks
AV Collection Development Librarian

--MS_Mac_OE_3038232232_1836851_MIME_Part Content-type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Re: Video Ratings Speaking strictly for Kino Jan, expecting ratings on all films is not pract= ical. We don't rate any of our films because we don't believe in it AND it &= nbsp;costs  a lot of money. Most small distributors could not afford to= get their films rated and it is basically meaningless for non- feature titl= es. We have been under increasing pressure to rate our films but cost and lo= gistics alone make this a non starter except for an isolated case.