RE: The Desert Island Video Core List

Judy Jones (judyjones@csus.edu)
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 10:50:36 -0700 (PDT)

What a wonderful job you have done. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Handman [mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu]
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2000 10:41 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: The Desert Island Video Core List

Hello All! (I was gonna say hello slackers...read on...)

I've gotta say, the response to my call for participants in developing the
Great Video Core List was...uh...well, let us say a bit underwhelming.
Does this say something about how busy we all are, how little good stuff is
out there, how few of us there are...wha?

Many thanks of you who have submitted recommendations so far (I'd like to
think this is an on-going project). The attached represents the input of
about five (count em'!) folks and a heavy larding of my own oddball input.
The list as it stands is definitely quirky...where are those
recommendations for kid vid? for how to's? Since I put in more than my 2
cents, there's a definite bias toward costy indie stuff...I'd be a lot
happier if we could make this thing more balanced.

The list is posted at: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/corefinal.html

It was an interesting exercise in putting this stuff together: really
depressing to find out how many titles--including absolute staples--have
gone out of distribution: Hearts and Minds! (yow!); Straight No Chaser
(bio of jazzman Thelonious Monk); Carl Sagan's Cosmos series; James Burke's
The Day the Universe Changed; and on an on...

I had to scout around for distributors and current prices for many of these
titles. I admit to having run outa steam...so for some inclusions, price
info and other stuff may be missing.

So: Let us all know what you think about the list. it's not too late to
stand up and be counted... Send recommendations and I'll append them to
this baby for a second release.

Onward!
UC Berkeley 94720-6000