RE: Road to Eldorado "boycott"

Thu, 30 Mar 2000 09:45:44 -0800 (PST)

Hi all. Just want to chime in to say that this discourse IS NOT off the
beaten path for this list! I think it is extremely important to use this
forum to discuss the big stuff (as well as the workaday).

In the wake of the considerable outcrys from various ethnic communities in
the wake of Aladdin and Pocahontas, the release of a film like El Dorado
(yeah, it's animated, so what...so was Song of the South) is, I think, only
a small measure of Disney's profound cynicism and commercial hurbris (see
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/disney.html#aladdin and
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/disney.html#pocahontas)
Seems to me that the continuing appropriation, recycling, and corruption of
venerable images, stories, myths and characters is simply another clear
indicator of a creative poverty in mainstream media.

Should El Dorado be boycotted? I think it's the prerogative of the viewing
public, individually or in groups, to do any damn thing it wants (short of
firebombing the theatre). Should this film--ANY film--be yanked from the
theaters, cut to fit public opinion, censored or otherwise prevented from
coming to the screen...I don't think we even want to vaguely think about
going there.

At 08:50 AM 03/30/2000 -0800, you wrote:

> This is a little off the beaten path for our list serve...but it may be
>a good
>opportunity for consciousness and sensitivity-raising. I'm sure not
>everyone will agree with what I have to say
> I think it is worthwhile to consider a Native American point of view.
>The dominant group has the power to monopolize mass media and the luxury to
>propogate its own point of view, which serves to enhance its own prestige.
> That is why it is so irritating to minorities to see this kind of
>thing. They have little power
>to fight it. Thus the angry tone of the call for a boycott. I assume
>that the person writing the call for a boycott was speaking from the point
>of view of his tribe, rather than all tribes and groups (among which almost
>every type of social organization, economy, and form of government may be
>found).
> Best wishes to all.

UC Berkeley 94720-6000