Re: DVD selecting

R. Hertzler (rhertz@u.washington.edu)
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 13:07:55 -0800 (PST)

Mike,

To make sure we don't limit access for our users by *only* purchasing
something in DVD format, we *always* dupe in VHS. The one exception, and
it's not really an exception, is when I find (frequently for very recent
films) that the DVD runs around $20 while the VHS version is still in the
$100 range; in these cases I'll still buy the DVD but wait for the VHS
price to drop (example: Eyes Wide Shut).

On the other hand, we don't necessarily try to dupe in DVD for everything
we get in VHS. I won't go into the convoluted criteria I use myself, but
it's a sort of blend of anticipated nature and frequency of use,
historical use, discipline(s) being supported, price, "canonical" nature
of the work, etc. I figure as long as we have *some* version that most
everyone can watch, we can always go back and do some retrospective
hole-filling if/when DVD becomes ubiquitous.

It's not an exact science, but it seems to be working so far . . .

Randy Hertzler
Reference Librarian
Media Services Coordinator
Odegaard Undergraduate Library