Re: Beckett Videos

Brian McCaskill (brian@facets.org)
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:25:55 -0800 (PST)

Dear Katy,

The following Beckett titles are all available from Facets Video.

"FILM"

Samuel Beckett's only work written for film is a provocative experimentation
that features Buster Keaton in his next-to-last screen appearance. The film
has no dialogue, following a character (Keaton) who attempts to hide from
human perception, only to have his own existence conspire against him. The
cinematography is by Boris Kaufman, who shot all of Jean Vigo's work as well
as such American classics as On the Waterfront and The Pawnbroker. Filmed in
New York and produced by Barney Rosset and the Evergreen Theater.

Alan Schneider USA 1965 21 mins.

Item# VHS: S38007 Price: $29.95

"HERE ARE
LADIES"

Siobhan McKenna and members of Dublin's Abbey Theatre perform excerpts from
the works of Sean O'Casey, George Bernard Shaw, W.B. Yeats, John Millington
Synge, Samuel Beckett, Lennox Robinson, James Stevens and James Joyce. A
terrific exploration of dark Irish poetry by some of the nation's top
thespians. 60 mins.

Item# VHS: S39887 Price: $59.95

"KRAPP'S LAST TAPE"
Samuel
Beckett's profound one-act play about the anger and regret of aging is
performed unforgettably by celebrated Beckett actor Jack MacGowran.
MacGowran brings incredible energy and emotional commitment to his role as
an elderly man listening back to taped memories of his younger days, haunted
by memories both good and bad. Of MacGowran, Beckett once said, "I didn't
have to talk to him; I didn't have to direct him. He just knew."

Alan Schneider USA 1971 54 mins.

Item# VHS: S40449 Price: $59.95

"ROCKABY"

This filmed record of the preparations and rehearsals for the world premiere
performance of Samuel Beckett's play Rockaby offers a rare glimpse at the
challenges that face theatrical artists when they tackle Beckett's
remarkable writing. The film
begins with the first meeting of director Alan Schneider and star Billie
Whitelaw and captures the progress of their collaboration, culminating with
the complete performance of the 15-minute play. "Rockaby...is not only
something for the archives but it's also
terrifically entertaining" (Vincent Canby, New York Times).

D.A. Pennebaker/Chris Hegedus USA 1982 58 mins.
Item# VHS: S40450 Price: $59.95

"WAITING FOR GODOT" (Mostel/Meredith version)

Zero Mostel and Burgess Meredith are exceptional in this 1976 televised
production of Samuel Beckett's masterpiece -- one of the key works of modern
theater. These two great actors are in peak form in this remarkable study of
existence, spirituality and
absurdity. Directed by Alan Schneider with an introduction by Barney Rosset.
102 mins.

Item# VHS: S38006 Price: $49.95

If you would like to order any of these titles or if you have any questions
regarding this information please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Sincerely,

Brian McCaskill
Director of Educational Services
Facets Multimedia
1517 W. Fullerton Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614
e-mail: brian@facets.org
phone: 800-331-6197
fax: 773-929-5437

At 08:41 AM 03/24/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi all-
>
>Looking for some help locating Samuel Beckett works on video. Any
>leads/suggestions would be most appreciated!
>

>Katy Kirby
>Video Reference Assistant
>Avery Fisher Center, NYU Bobst Library
>(212) 998-2583
>katy.kirby@nyu.edu

***WIN FREE VIDEOS BY ENTERING OUR MONTHLY WEB PAGE CONTESTS!
***THE COMPLETE FACETS CATALOG IS NOW ON-LINE! SEARCH THE ENTIRE FACETS
CATALOG ON OUR WEB SITE FOR TITLES, DIRECTORS, GENRES, AND MORE!
FACETS MULTI-MEDIA, INC. OPERATING HOURS:
1517 W. FULLERTON AVE. SALES..:9am-8pm MON-FRI
CHICAGO, IL 60614 10am-6pm SAT
SALES...1-800-331-6197 closed SUN
RENTALS.1-800-532-2387 RENTALS:10am-10pm MON-SAT
GENERAL.773-281-9075 12pm-10pm SUN
FAX.....773-929-5437

VISIT OUR WEBSITE! - http://www.facets.org

EMAIL: