Re: videos on ILL

Nell Chenault (nchenaul@saturn.vcu.edu)
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:41:13 -0800 (PST)

We use the 12" film reel fiber cases for shipping both phonograph records
and laserdiscs. We order them from Tek Media Supply Co. (RTI), 800.323.7520.

We've always ILL'ed media from our medical campus library. Our academic
campus began ILL of media several years ago at the request of the VIVA
directors council. We will loan most media types: music, film, computer
software, cassettes, etc.. We follow most of the ALA guidelines for ILL of
media referenced by Kris. Each year we make a list of heavily used titles
for our collection librarians. We now give a list of these to ILL - we
don't lend these titles. We exclude items which have restrictive
purchase/lease/license agreements (noted on our scheduling system). We
also do not loan large, bulky items such as posters, models, realia. We
limit media loan to other educational libraries - we do not loan media to
public libraries. Loan period is 1 week, but we assume it will be out 3
weeks. We have had one title not returned - the institution paid the
replacement fee. None have been damaged.

What is more important, faculty and students can borrow titles which we do
not own! Reciprocity!

At 01:05 PM 03/21/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>We circulate our videos (and all our media) through ILL -- most of them are
>no more expensive or difficult to obtain than books, nowadays. We do mail
>the items insured and ask the recipient library return them to us in the
>same way. We also ask for full replacement cost if they are lost or
>damaged while being used. We have had very few losses over the past few
>years -- a couple items lost in the mail, a couple items lost or damaged by
>patrons, and a few videos and audios accidentally erased by library staff
>putting them through the de-sensitizer when they apparently aren't used to
>working with magnetic media. ;)
>
>The downside is having to keep on hand an assortment of small boxes for
>shipping. The hardest to ship are the LP recordings, because of their size
>and fragility it is hard to find a suitable box......
>
>Sue DeHut
>Linfield College
>

>--On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 10:30 AM -0800 "Ridie W. Ghezzi"
><Ridie.W.Ghezzi@Dartmouth.EDU> wrote:
>
>> With our new library building we will be incorporating and taking
>> responsibility for the video collection of the entire college. Up until
>> now, we have had a very small video collection (400 titles) in the
>> library and have had a policy of not circulating these titles through
>> InterLibrary Loan.
>>
>> As we rethink all of our policies in light of our new Media Center, we
>> are trying to look again at the decision not to circulate videos through
>> ILL. We would be very interested to hear whether or not others lend their
>> videos through Interlibrary Loan and why or why not.
>>
>> Thanks for any help you can offer.
>>
>> Ridie Ghezzi
>> Baker Library
>> Dartmouth College