Re: locating closed-captioned videos

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:37:22 -0800 (PST)

Hi Renee,

The National Captioning Institute is one of two organizations that captions
programs for the hearing impaired. They started doing TV programs back in
1971 and then video movies came along and wham! -- a virtual plethora of
titles, growing steadily daily. An up-to-date list would be difficult to
compile, but here are some options:

contact the National Captioning Institute -
www.us.net/nci - they have several offices on west/easat coast and do
captioning for programs upon request! - not sure about any charges, etc.

The Bowker Complete Video Directory has a complete, alphabetical listing
(A-Z) of NCI titles as an index. BCVD is also available on CD - I think
that it's also available on the web but I'm not sure if the indexes would
be available. (sorry, I don't know the website). Hope this information
helps. Jim Scholtz

At 10:47 AM 3/21/00 -0800, you wrote:

>Help! I have a patron that must have closed-captioned films. I have done
the subject search and found videos that meet his needs however I can not
confirm which are available closed-captioned. Does anyone know of source
that will give me this information? Thanks.