Re: videos on ILL

Karen Driessen (karend@selway.umt.edu)
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 13:27:28 -0800 (PST)

One more side of this issue. As an academic media service, our video
collection evolved from our circulating 16 mm collection. We have been
members of the Consortium of College and University Media Centers (CCUMC)
(and its predecessor the Consortium of University Film Centers (CUFC) for
many, many years. Thus we loaned our 16mm collection all over the US on a
rental basis and as the video format began to replace films, we continued
to lend videos on the same basis. We still follow this practice with 16mm
and video even though the volume of transactions is down significantly
(just 224 rentals last year). All of our other media materials go out
through interlibrary loan (sound recordings including talking books and
CDs, slides, scores, kits, etc.

The reason we have not moved the videos into ILL is because we schedule and
book our videos for faculty and student use. We actually had 3215 campus
circulations last year. Our experience has been that ILL transactions are
often lax about getting materials back on time. Conversely, the video
rentals come back very promptly because they know they will be charged for
overdues. Thus we can book videos for future campus use with confidence
they will be here as scheduled. If any of you have figured out a way to
get ILL's back on time, we would love to hear about it. That's really the
only thing holding us back from moving videos into ILL. Our faculty depend
on us to have the materials here when we say they will be here.

At 10:31 AM 03/21/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>With our new library building we will be incorporating and taking
responsibility for the video collection of the entire college. Up until
now, we have had a very small video collection (400 titles) in the library
and have had a policy of not circulating these titles through InterLibrary
Loan.

>As we rethink all of our policies in light of our new Media Center, we are
trying to look again at the decision not to circulate videos through ILL.
We would be very interested to hear whether or not others lend their videos
through Interlibrary Loan and why or why not.

>Thanks for any help you can offer.
>
>Ridie Ghezzi
>Baker Library
>Dartmouth College
>Hanover, NH 03755
>ridie.w.ghezzi@dartmouth.edu

Karen C. Driessen, Director Phone: 406-243-2856
Instructional Media Services (MMLAO1) FAX: 406-243-4067
32 Campus Drive #4968 E-mail: karend@selway.umt.edu
The University of Montana
Missoula MT 59812-4968