Re: videos on ILL

stephen O'Riordan (soriordan@ucsd.edu)
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 13:21:26 -0800 (PST)

--=====================_15393653==_.ALT

We are part of the same UC system as Jim Glenn. In following the spirit of
Video Roundtable, UCSD Inter-library loans w/in the UC system & w/out the
system, though restricted to academic institutions. We limit ILL to 1 week
from arrival on requestors campus & haven't had , for the most part, any
problems getting material back safe & sound and in a timely manner. We do not
ILL film prints, out-of-print titles, or those few titles that come w/ "campus
only" restrictions. We have never (at least as far as I know) had a conflict
w/ a faculty member needing an item out on ILL. We are net lenders, but I feel
it is part of the service.

Stephen

At 11:38 AM 3/21/00 -0800, you wrote:
>We interlibrary loan most of our materials within the University of
>California system, but I have mixed feelings about the process. I think
>it's great to share materials, but it can also cause problems. I've been
>told that interlibrary loan should be a three week turnaround for our
>materials to be returned to us. But most of the time it can take three or
>four months. Meanwhile, many times we don't know what our faculty want
>until they walk in the door expecting what they want to be here.
>Unfortunately, many faculty don't understand the words planning and
>organization. Just this past quarter one of our dance videos was loaned to
>another campus. Someone made a copy of that video and then when it was
>returned they returned the copy and not our original. A couple of years ago
>we loaned a video of an Hispanic literary workshop that was held at USC
>many years ago. The campus that requested it, lost it. It's out-of-print so
>it can't be replaced. And when I have loaned motion pictures, which I don't
>do anymore, they would be returned not rewound and not on their original
>reels. And finally, as I said earlier, it's great to share materials, but
>it's also unfair when we loan our materials, but other campuses don't
>reciprocate.
>
>Jim Glenn
>Manager, Media Library
>University of California, Riverside

Stephen O'Riordan
Film & Video Library
University of Calif. San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla Ca 92023-0175Q
phone: (619) 534-7981
fax: (619) 534-0189
e-mail: soriordan@ucsd.edu
http://orpheus.ucsd.edu/fvl/FVLPAGE.HTM