Re: videos on ILL

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:58:16 -0800 (PST)

Hi Ridie,
While I'm a Library Director in a public library in SD, I can tell you that
we ILL our entire collection (not just videos, but books, Cd-Music,
computer software, copies of magazine articles, etc.) to anyone in-state.
We also loan out of state, but the request must pass me first. We do not
charge for ILLs - mailing or return. Currently, all our collections are
available through a hold process and/or first-come, first-served rather
than on a booked/scheduled basis. We do, however, reserve the right not to
ILL certain items such as new (4 months) fiction titles when our local
patrons have not had an opportunity to use that material. I think ILL
presents a strong case for cooperation - if I have something you want/need
and can't get it from you, I'm not going to loan anything to you and
vice-versa. I use this as a positive arguement all the time. In every
library that I've been associated with (director/associate Director), I've
always pushed for filling ILLs - system, public and college (I've been
employed in all 3 situations) and it has been a godsend to me on the
receiving end. Jim Scholtz.
At 10:29 AM 3/21/00 -0800, you wrote:
>With our new library building we will be incorporating and taking
responsibility for the video collection of the entire college. Up until
now, we have had a very small video collection (400 titles) in the library
and have had a policy of not circulating these titles through InterLibrary
Loan.

>As we rethink all of our policies in light of our new Media Center, we are
trying to look again at the decision not to circulate videos through ILL.
We would be very interested to hear whether or not others lend their videos
through Interlibrary Loan and why or why not.