Re: videos on ILL

Tue, 21 Mar 2000 11:01:45 -0800 (PST)

We have lent video on interlibrary loan for more than 10 years without
incident. With a small collections you cannot afford *not* to lend it,
because that's the only way other institutions will lend to you -- and
your users need access to these collections. Actually, all academic
library users need access to video collections beyond their local
institution, given that even the largest academic libraries have
relatively small video collections. ALA has adopted guidelines for
interlibrary loan of audiovisual materials:

<http://www.lib.virginia.edu/dmmc/VRT/illguide.html>

Adherence to these guidelines was included in the ACRL "Guidelines for
Media Resource Collections in Academic Libraries," under User Services
(5.1):

<http://www.ala.org/acrl/guides/medresg.html>

One of my student interns and I did a survey for the Video Round Table on
this topic in 1994. The results are on the web:

<http://www.indiana.edu/~libreser/kris/internetsurvey.html>

We also include some advice for getting started.

That same grad student did a study of the interlibrary loan of video at IU
and published the results in the Katharine Sharp Review in 1995:

<http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/review/summer1995/egyhazi.html>

Our experience has been extremely positive. Please feel free to contact
me if you have questions. -- Kris

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Ridie W. Ghezzi wrote:

> With our new library building we will be incorporating and taking
> responsibility for the video collection of the entire college. Up until
> now, we have had a very small video collection (400 titles) in the
> library and have had a policy of not circulating these titles through
> InterLibrary Loan.
>
> As we rethink all of our policies in light of our new Media Center, we
> are trying to look again at the decision not to circulate videos through
> ILL. We would be very interested to hear whether or not others lend
> their videos through Interlibrary Loan and why or why not.
>
> Thanks for any help you can offer.
>
> Ridie Ghezzi
> Baker Library
> Dartmouth College
> Hanover, NH 03755
> ridie.w.ghezzi@dartmouth.edu

Kristine R. Brancolini, Media and Film Studies
Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: 812.855.3710 | Fax: 812.856.2062 | Email: brancoli@indiana.edu