Re: Searching for "Carry It On" - old PBS series

Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:45:31 -0800 (PST)

This is a very long shot, but you might try contacting Appalshop

Appalshop, Inc.
306 Madison St.
Whitesburg, KY 41858
Phone: (800) 545-7467, (606) 633-0108
Fax: (606) 633-1009
appalshopsales@appalshop.org
http://www.uky.edu/Projects/Appal/

or the Southern Folklife Center

Center for Southern Folklore
130 Beale Street
Memphis, TN 38103
Phone: (901) 525-3655
Fax: (901) 525-3945
http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~yblubin/CFSF.html

to see if they have leads

At 06:21 PM 03/13/2000 -0800, you wrote:

>If no-one answers you in the next 24 hours, I'll be happy to forward your
>query to one or both of the listservs H-Film and H-Appalachian, both
>listservs operated by H-Net (Humanities On-Line).
>
>Harold Rennie
>
>On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Marilyn Huntley wrote:
>
>> I'm afraid this one has me following a very cold trail. I've been asked to
>> help a professor find a source for a 13-part PBS series titled "Carry It
>> On." She gave me lots of details, but I haven't had any luck locating it in
>> my usual reference sources. Here are excerpts from the prof's request:
>>
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>> "I am [researching] an organization by the name of the Southern Folk
>> Cultural Revival Project (SFCRP), a southern musical/political organization
>> that completed many projects from the 1960s through the 80s.
>>
>> "One of the things they did was to produce a 13-part PBS series titled
>> "Carry It On" in 1984. It aired in various TV markets that year.
>>
>> "Each show was 30 min. long, and my source says that the SFCRP's director,
>> Anne Romaine, worked with Harmon McBride at WDCN in Nashville in producing
>> the series over a 2-year period. The series was funded by a grant from the
>> NEA and from PBS as well as the "We Shall Overcome" Fund. The programs
>> were distributed to 38 states in June of 1984 and began airing in Nashville
>> in November 1984.
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>
>> The only piece of possibly useful information I've unearthed is that Harmon
>> McBride is still listed in the staff directory at WDCN.
>>
>> Is anyone familiar with this PBS series, or could you give me a suggestion
>> of where to look next? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Marilyn Huntley

>> Marilyn B. Huntley, Audiovisual Assistant
>> Audiovisual Classroom Services
>> Hamilton College, 198 College Hill Rd., Clinton, NY 13323
>> Phone 315-859-4120; Fax 315-859-4687
>> e-mail mhuntley@hamilton.edu

UC Berkeley 94720-6000