RE: Discovery Channel

Sat, 11 Mar 2000 06:18:21 -0800 (PST)

Becky: You were probably treated differently because you are a public
library. Some distributors understand that you don't need public
performance rights, but they think that we do. It's really just a method
for gouging academic libraries.

Gary: We order all the time on a credit card from home video distributors
and have the videos sent directly to the library. I think it's the
purchase order that is the red flag. My only problem with this is that it
gives incomplete records for our financial records; titles are not listed
individually on acquisitions reports. Plus, records aren't entered into
the online catalog when the items are ordered. However, it's a small
price to pay for avoiding being ripped off.

Kristine Brancolini
Indiana University Libraries