Re: Film/Media Databases on the Web

Clark, Jeff (clarkjc@jmu.edu)
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 09:47:01 -0800 (PST)

Kris,

Regarding TV Guide's web version of _Motion Picture
Guide_ ("Motion Picture Database")...

I've recently discovered the change and problems with this
feature--which is now only identified as "Movie Database":

You can find it at:
http://www.tvguide.com/movies/

A couple points here:

1. Right now, the little "Search" button at the top right
of the web page isn't working properly. It's supposed to
provide the choice of searching a film in the database or
in the TV listings--whenever it works properly.

2. Instead, scroll down the page just beyond halfway. The
"Movie Database" feature is buried there. That search
engine works... sort of.

3. There are still problems from this "main" search page,
with the results retrieved. Some links--for films or people
with more than one entry--produce empty results.

4. Using the repeated search engine on pages with a search
result--the secondary level, so to speak, where the
link result of a search are--seems not to be working at
all. You get no results when conducting a search
at this level rather than from the main web page listed
above.

No doubt the TV Guide folks must be working on this. But
almost needless to say, I'm annoyed at what they're doing
to "bury" this reference resource.

Jeff
Jeff Clark
Director