Re: "media librarians" response

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 12:56:17 -0800 (PST)

Tami and others -

Resulting from the Skokie ALA Executive Board retreat (and passed out at
ALA Midwinter) is a flyer entitled Action 2005 which outlines several goals
for the organization by date 2005. One of those goals is to "[become] a
leader in continuing education for librarians and library personnel." So I
think some interesting changes will start to occur at ALA , especially in
terms of actual CE benefits, partnering with other agencies, etc.

I was one of two RTCC representative, representing both VRT and the RTCC,
who were involved in this retreat (held last October before the National
Media Market). As an ALA unit, VRT should be thinking about how we can
align ourselves to make sure that some AV/media CE units get placed into
the picture otherwise they'll be left out. Jim Scholtz.
At 09:05 AM 3/1/00 -0800, you wrote:
>There is also the Consortium for College and University Media Centers
which is also a wonderful organization. In my original comment, I was
trying to stress that the traditional library organizations like ALA need
to begin implementing support services for the media librarian just like
they have for other specializations of the librarian.