Re: "media librarians" response

Karen Driessen (karend@selway.umt.edu)
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 11:09:00 -0800 (PST)

Developing media associations with other media related associations is an
excellent idea. Don't forget OLAC, the Online Audiovisual Catalogers, Inc.
and CCUMC, the Consortium of College and University Media Centers. Both
organizations have media people who must deal with providing media access,
reference, and managing media resource collections.

At 08:50 AM 03/01/2000 -0800, Wes Miller wrote:
>>Tami-Jo Eckley wrote:
>
>>> 2. What skills or qualities do you think will be most important for media
>>> librarians in the future?
>>
>>I think it is very important to develop associations or programs within
>>existing associations (ie ALA) which will offer continuing education
>>programs specifically for media librarians to keep up with internet
>>technologies as well as digital production capabilities, etc. Production
>>and computer technology and internet access are going to continue to blend
>>together more and more and the result will be something completely
>>different than what existed prior to it. (what was that big merger that
>>recently happened.....time warner, aol, etc.)
>
>I would suggest that media librrians also look to other associations like
>AECT (Association for Educational Communications and Technology) for
>support. Its members cross a wide variety of lines dealing with technology
>issues in a very broad sense and includes a large group of folks that deal
>with the management of resources (i.e. run media centers that have
>circulation and other library functions). http://www.aect.org
>
>Wes
>
>T. Weston Miller
>Director, Media Resources Center
>Earlham College
>Richmond, IN 47374-4095
>
>Voice: 765-983-1278
>E-Mail: wesm@earlham.edu

Karen C. Driessen, Director Phone: 406-243-2856
Instructional Media Services (MMLAO1) FAX: 406-243-4067
32 Campus Drive #4968 E-mail: karend@selway.umt.edu
The University of Montana
Missoula MT 59812-4968