Re: media carrels

Stephen Marek (smarek@nwu.edu)
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 10:42:47 -0800 (PST)

At 10:38 AM 03/01/2000 , you wrote:
>Our library is in the process of developing a plan to begin the implementation of some media listening carrels. We have a fairly strong music department and we have no space in the library for them to listen to CDs as well as use any other technology that they need. My question is: What kinds of carrels or listening facilities do you have in place and what kinds of services in those carrels has been successful and/or unsuccessful. I have in the past spoken with one of the Music Professors here and he never seems to get very specific. I appreciate your input, as always. thanks.
>
>--
>Tami-Jo Eckley
>Electronic Services & Media Librarian
>Manhattanville College Library
>Purchase, New York 10577
>http://www.mville.edu/library
>
>--

Within reason, I don't think the physical carrels themselves are very important at all (although I would be sure to provide network connections at each for laptops and some sort of individually controlled lighting to facilitate note taking). What IS important are the quality/comfort of the headphones at the carrels and the ergonomics/comfort level of the chairs that users may be sitting in for hours at a time.

Steve