Re: "media librarians" response

Tami-Jo Eckley (eckleyt@mville.edu)
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 09:06:38 -0800 (PST)

There is also the Consortium for College and University Media Centers which is also a wonderful organization. In my original comment, I was trying to stress that the traditional library organizations like ALA need to begin implementing support services for the media librarian just like they have for other specializations of the librarian.

From: Wes Miller <wesm@earlham.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 08:50:48 -0800 (PST)

>Tami-Jo Eckley wrote:

>> 2. What skills or qualities do you think will be most important for media
>> librarians in the future?
>
>I think it is very important to develop associations or programs within
>existing associations (ie ALA) which will offer continuing education
>programs specifically for media librarians to keep up with internet
>technologies as well as digital production capabilities, etc. Production
>and computer technology and internet access are going to continue to blend
>together more and more and the result will be something completely
>different than what existed prior to it. (what was that big merger that
>recently happened.....time warner, aol, etc.)

I would suggest that media librrians also look to other associations like
AECT (Association for Educational Communications and Technology) for
support. Its members cross a wide variety of lines dealing with technology
issues in a very broad sense and includes a large group of folks that deal
with the management of resources (i.e. run media centers that have
circulation and other library functions). http://www.aect.org

Wes

T. Weston Miller
Director, Media Resources Center