Re: "media librarians" response

Wes Miller (wesm@earlham.edu)
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 08:52:13 -0800 (PST)

>Tami-Jo Eckley wrote:

>> 2. What skills or qualities do you think will be most important for media
>> librarians in the future?
>
>I think it is very important to develop associations or programs within
>existing associations (ie ALA) which will offer continuing education
>programs specifically for media librarians to keep up with internet
>technologies as well as digital production capabilities, etc. Production
>and computer technology and internet access are going to continue to blend
>together more and more and the result will be something completely
>different than what existed prior to it. (what was that big merger that
>recently happened.....time warner, aol, etc.)

I would suggest that media librrians also look to other associations like
AECT (Association for Educational Communications and Technology) for
support. Its members cross a wide variety of lines dealing with technology
issues in a very broad sense and includes a large group of folks that deal
with the management of resources (i.e. run media centers that have
circulation and other library functions). http://www.aect.org

Wes

T. Weston Miller
Director, Media Resources Center