Re: Keyword: environmental justice

Carolyn Sturgill (csturgill@appalshop.org)
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 07:49:37 -0800 (PST)

Visit Appalshop's website to view video titles about environmental justice.

Ready for Harvest: Clearcutting in the Southern Appalachians
Beginning in the late 1800's, and continuing into the early decades of the
20th century, forests in the Southern Appalachian Mountains were extensively
logged. Since that time, the forests have grown back and matured. These
hardwood stands of hickory, oak, black cherry, and walnut are attracting
timber companies to private land and national forests. Ready for Harvest
explores the complex questions of how we use and protect our native forests.
This documentary is meant to encourage debate about a forest management
policy that affects the environment, the economy, and a culture.

To Save The Land and People
Strip mining began in Appalachia in the early 1950s and increased
dramatically in 1961. Unregulated strip mining, damaging to the land and
watershed, was objected to by many local citizens throughout the region.
During this critical time in coalmining history, an eastern Kentucky
citizens activist group, the Appalachian Group to Save the Land and People,
organized to fight strip mining. "To Save The Land and People" tells the
story of resistance in the voices of people who were directly involved and
demonstrates the creativity and energy that indigenous and working class
people bring to the environmental justice movement.

The Breaks Of The Mountain, The Russell Fork Gorge
"The Breaks of the Mountain, The Russell Fork Gorge" is a half-hour video
documentary about issues an Appalachian coalmining community faces while
developing a tourist economy around a river gorge. The video focuses on the
Russell Fork of the Big Sandy River as it flows from Haysi, Virginia to
Elkhorn City, Kentucky. The tape looks at the threats extractive industry
present to this rare gorge, explores the promise of a sustainable ecotourism
economy, and discusses the effects too much tourism brings to the quality of
life in a small town.

Chemical Valley
Are high wages and plentiful consumer products worth the risk of a potential
Bhopal? Communities explore issues of job blackmail, racism, and
environmental quality in the West Virginia chemical industry.

On Our Own Land
"The time will come when the younger generation will climb up on every rock
and stump they can find and they will curse our memory for all time to come
for what we have allowed to happen to this land." -Eldon Davidson

Yellow Creek, Kentucky
"I believe an industry should be responsible for its own waste. Period. I
can do any number of things and be rich. I can bootleg. I can make
moonshine. I can fence stolen property. And I fail to see the difference:
you're making a living in violation of the law at someone else's
expense." -Larry Wilson, Yellow Creek Concerned Citizens

Strip Mining: Energy, Environment, and Economics
"Just because you own a piece of land doesn't mean that it really belongs to
you. Someday you're not going to be here and that piece of land is. Someday
we're all going to have to go and give another generation a chance. I'm
really sorrowful, but I really think that what we're going to be leaving
isn't going to be that much." -Larry Adams, underground miner

Strip Mining in Appalachia
"They wrote me a five page contract, written like the Holy Bible, saying
they give me a right, a mortgage against their machinery. They forfeited the
contract, stripped the land, and then pulled off and left me in distress and
at the mercy of the world." -Willy Vest, Dickenson County, Virginia

The Buffalo Creek Flood: An Act of Man
"I didn't see God a-drivin' them slate trucks and wearing a hard- hulled
cap. I did not see that at no time when I visited the dam. I don't believe
it was an 'act of God.' It was an act of man!" -Shirley Marcum, flood
survivor

Buffalo Creek Revisited
"Every morning to us was like a Sunday morning -- a smile, a 'Good
morning'... that meant so much to us. We don't get that no more. It's a
loss. Now we get vacant stares. We get frowns. We get worries." -Ruth
Morris, flood survivor