Re: dvd in public libraries

Nell Chenault (nchenaul@saturn.vcu.edu)
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 15:15:43 -0800 (PST)

We keep videos, CD-ROMs, CD's and DVD's behind our service desk. Patrons
search the catalog or browse a shelf list print out for titles. Not as
user friendly as we would like and it is staff intensive for paging and
patron mediation. But, as an academic library with an average cost per
video of over $130, the videos are more secure. We have been reluctant to
put labels on the disks for preservation reasons.

At 01:44 PM 02/24/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>the Lisle Library has circulated DVDs for the past year. We put them in
>Gressco holders and have not lost one item. We have a just over 100 titles
>and the entire collection turns over 1.5 times per month. Patrons love them.
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Dennis M. Huslig
>Director
>Lisle Library District