Re: I was on Mars

Jessica (jesskino@redconnect.net)
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 06:50:48 -0800 (PST)

OK
The film WAS NEVER released commercially even in 35mm. I would guess that
only 5% of the foreign language films that GET released in 35mm are than
made in 16mm. You need to commit around $10,000 to do this. SWANK which for
instance has the rights to films from Miramax, Artisan, Grammercy ect. has
made VERY few 16mm foreign language films in the last 3 years.

As for GOOD MACHINE. They are basically a sales agent and at best dabble
in distribution when they are desperate. Since this film is 8 years old,
there is clearly no chance it is going to get distributed. I was merely
surprised that Good Machine was even attached to it. Best guess is that they
had some kind of sales deal but never sold it. Another depressing statistic
is that probably less than 1% of foreign films are ever distributed IN ANY
FORMAT in the US.

Sorry folks but that is the real world. Best advice is don't get your hopes
up when you read about a film in some nice film journal or review at a
European film fest, chances are you are never going to see that film.

Regards

Jessica