Re: video allotments

Thu, 10 Feb 2000 09:45:53 -0800 (PST)

There is ample research evidence that academic libraries without a
separate media materials budget spend significantly less, both in absolute
dollar amounts and as a percentage of the overall materials budget, than
those libraries that have allocated a media fund. The best ammunition in
the fight to create a separate budget or increase the one you have is
probably the recently-adopted "ACRL Guidelnes for Media Resources in
Academic Libraries." They were published in the April 1999 issue of _C&RL
News_, but they are also on the web:
<http://www.ala.org/acrl/guides/medresg.html> See specifically, guideline
4.1, under 4.0 Budget.

Good luck! -- Kris

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Barb Bergman wrote:

> My situation is similar to those described by Beth and Elizabeth.
>
> I have no budget of my own because the materials budget is divied up among
> departments for the faculty to spend on any library materials. I can offer
> suggestions to faculty, but... As was mentioned, it means there has been no
> collection development. Unspent funds do revert to librarian's discretion
> after our deadline in May. Then Reference and Media get to fight it out, so
> I will get to spend a modest amount in the summer.
>
> On the brighter side, the Library received a special, extra $100,000
> allocation last year, so I did my part to spend as much as I could while I
> had the chance. <grin>
>
> Barb

> Barbara J. Bergman Porter Henderson Library
> Media Librarian Angelo State University
> ph: (915) 942-2313 Box 11013, ASU Station
> fax: (915) 942-2198 San Angelo, TX 76909

Kristine R. Brancolini, Media and Film Studies
Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: 812.855.3710 | Fax: 812.855.1649 | Email: brancoli@indiana.edu